A city-wide mechanism for voter assistance was reported to have been activated by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) following concerns raised by the State Election Commission. A network of Voters Help Desks was said to have been established at the civic headquarters in Fort and across all 24 wards. The responsibility of receiving and processing objections was stated to have been delegated to assistant municipal commissioners, while overall supervision was placed under the zonal deputy municipal commissioners to ensure transparency throughout the process.
These measures were stated to have been initiated after directives were issued by the State Election Commission earlier in the week. The SEC was reported to have acted after allegations of irregularities surfaced in the draft voters list. As part of its intervention, the deadline for submitting objections was extended from November 27 to December 3. By November 28, it was indicated that 2,082 objections had already been submitted, highlighting the scale of public concern. It was also acknowledged that Mumbai’s electoral rolls included a significant number of duplicate voter entries, with more than 11 lakh names said to have appeared more than once among the city’s 1.03 crore registered voters.
To verify these discrepancies, doorstep visits were planned by election department personnel. These visits were intended to confirm residential details, identify duplicate registrations, and correct ward assignments where required. Residents and housing societies were asked to cooperate, as large-scale verification activity was expected across several wards.
A review meeting chaired by BMC Commissioner Bhushan Gagrani was stated to have been conducted to streamline procedures. During this meeting, it was conveyed by the Officer on Special Duty (Elections) that help desks had already begun functioning and that detailed information on suspected duplicate voters would be made available at ward offices. It was further indicated that outreach efforts would be undertaken directly by election staff to contact individuals whose records appeared duplicated.
The submission of objections was required to be completed within office hours by December 3, 2025. Assistant municipal commissioners were authorised to examine and decide on issues raised by citizens. Directions issued by the SEC mandated that clerical errors—including mistakes in names, gender entries, typographical issues, and incorrect ward placements—should be recorded in a designated “Mark Copy.” The presence of deceased individuals on the list and the omission of eligible names were also ordered to be documented.
It was emphasised that any inaccuracies brought to the attention of the civic body, whether formally or informally, must be acted upon without delay. During the preparation of the final ward-wise list, verification of each voter’s ward allocation was required. Names incorrectly placed were mandated to be shifted to their rightful locations to ensure accuracy in the final electoral roll.