Bandra Slum Demolition Row: 100% Illegal Structures Cleared On INR 600 Cr Railway Land, 19 People Arrested

  • Mumbai Live Team
  • Civic

Western Railway (WR) concluded its biggest anti-encroachment operations carried out till date in Mumbai. The drive, which started on Tuesday, May 19, will continue for five days, despite unrest and violence.

On the fourth day (May 22) of the ongoing anti-encroachment and demolition drive near Bandra Terminus, railway authorities stated that all illegal structures marked for complete removal have now been demolished, while dismantling work on partially retained structures is progressing and is expected to conclude soon.

While speaking to media, WR Chief Public Relations Officer (CPRO) Vineet Abhishek said 100 per cent of the illegal structures identified for removal had been cleared.

However, authorities clarified that under court directions, around 100 structures are being partially retained, with only their ground floors being preserved.

The official stated that the upper portions of these structures, which are deemed unsafe, are currently being manually dismantled by dedicated teams to ensure adjoining structures do not suffer damage during the process. The railway official added that nearly 50 per cent of dismantling work involving these upper sections has already been completed, while the remaining work is expected to be finished by Saturday, May 23.

According to the official, around 1,000 to 1,200 personnel continue to remain deployed daily at the site, including teams from Mumbai Police, Government Railway Police (GRP) and Railway Protection Force (RPF).

Providing an update on debris clearance near the Bandra Terminus side, the official stated that nearly 50 per cent of the debris present in the northern section had already been removed compared to the previous day. Authorities further said that once demolition and debris removal operations conclude, barricading and fencing work across the area will begin.

The Bombay High Court (HC) backed the action to reclaim about 5,200-5,300 square metres for railway expansion, including new lines, better connectivity between Bandra Terminus and suburban stations, and support for projects like improved access to the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC).

The land, long encroached upon, holds an estimated value of around Rs 600 crores.

The Mumbai Police arrested a 19th individual in connection with the Bandra Garib Nagar stone pelting incident, following an anti-encroachment drive near Bandra railway station.

On Thursday, May 21, 15 accused were produced before the Bandra Court and remanded to police custody until May 26.

Among those arrested is one minor, who has been sent to a Children’s Remand Room.

The stone-pelting lasted nearly an hour before the police regained control. Five officers suffered serious injuries, including a fractured hand and a broken nose, while ten others sustained minor injuries.

Next Story
More News