ESIC Kamgar Hospital Fire: MP Gajanan Kirtikar demands ₹25 lakh compensation for the kin of the deceased

It has been accused that if the hospital had the proper equipment, the fire could have been brought under control and a major incident could have been averted

SHARE


On December 17, Monday, the ESIC Kamgar Hospital at Andheri’s MIDC region was engulfed in a fire which led to the death of eight people including a two-month-old baby. Alongside, around 177 were injured due to the accident. Therefore, the Union Minister of State for Labor and Employment Santosh Gangwar declared that the kin of the deceased will receive a compensation of ₹10 lakh, the people with grave injuries will receive a remuneration of ₹2 lakh and compensation of ₹1 lakh for the individuals with minor injuries.

However, the Member of Parliament (MP) from the respective area, Gajanan Kirtikar has demanded that the relatives of the deceased must get a compensation of at least ₹25 lakh and had also visited the hospital on December 18, Tuesday.

Also Read: ESIC Hospital Fire: Fire Brigade Had Given Provisional NOC To The Old Building, Was Under Renovation For Air-Conditioning

A new building has been under construction at the Marol-located ESIC Kamgar Hospital and the officials have been finding the potential reasons for the fire. It is being said that the ground floor of the new building consisted of scrap material which caught fire due to a short circuit on Monday. After which, the fire from the ground floor advanced to the fourth floor. 

Meanwhile, Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis ordered a probe into the accident and Gangwar took a visit to the hospital on Tuesday to order the state government to investigate the accident and present a report promptly.

The fire incident at the hospital is the fourth accident in six months which raises serious questions towards the safety of people. On the other hand, it has been alleged that since the hospital did not have proper fire safety measures and equipment, the fire caused serious damage.

If the hospital had proper equipment, the fire could have been brought under control and a major incident could have been averted.

RELATED TOPICS