The Central Government has cancelled 11.44 lakh PAN cards to curb the black money problem in India. Santosh Kumar Gangwar, Minister of State for Finance, announced this on Wednesday in the parliament.
The PAN cards that have been canceled are the ones which have been registered on multiple names. As on July 27, 11,44,211 PAN cards have been canceled.
How to check current PAN card status
1) Visit the Income Tax Website http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
2) The KNOW YOUR PAN option will appear on the left
3) There will be a form which you need to fill with your middle name, surname, first name, date of birth and mobile number.
4) After providing these details, you will receive an OTP that you have to enter on the site.
5) Once the process is complete, you will know your PAN status.