BMC to bring Pune's popular 'Ti' toilets for women to Mumbai

In order to resolve the issue of lack of hygienic public toilets for women, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation will be introducing 'Ti' toilets in Mumbai, starting from Marine Drive.

SHARE

In an attempt to bring a significant change to the idea of public toilets across Mumbai, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has proposed to replicate Pune's 'Ti' toilet initiative, which aims at converting an old bus into a mobile toilet for women. 

‘Ti’ is a Marathi word that refers to ‘She’ and also is an acronym for ‘Toilet Integration’. The concept was introduced in 2017 on the occasion of Women's Day. 

The idea will witness its implementation first at the Marine Drive Service Road in Mumbai. According to the reports, the toilets will be equipped with TV facilities, WiFi for women, female hygiene products and a digital feedback machine for better services, among other features.

In order to generate revenue, the buses will also feature advertisements and  90 per cent of the total revenue collected will go to the operator and the remaining 10 per cent will be given to BMC.

The municipal corporation has reached out to Sara Plast India Limited who had made the toilets for the initiative in Pune to supply and the team will now install the facility in Mumbai. Meanwhile, BMC has also written to the creators, mentioning a few compliance conditions like space, water and electricity connections that will be provided by the civic body, and costs for the same will be undertaken by them for a period of one year.  

The drainage for the bus will be arranged by BMC who is planning to make it a pay-and-use model with a charge of ₹5 per person per-use. The facilities at the mobile toilet will be managed by a female attendant who will also assist in case of queries regarding other facilities.

RELATED TOPICS
Latest News