17-year-old dies in a drink and drive accident at Nalasopara

On New Year’s Eve, 17-year-old Mandar Kasekar died on the spot when a SUV driver jumped the divider and rammed into his bike

17-year-old dies in a drink and drive accident at Nalasopara

On New Year’s Eve, a 17-year-old boy riding a scooter died while the pillion rider, a 38-year-old family friend suffered head injuries. The duo was hit by a SUV driver who jumped the divider and rammed into them while allegedly fleeing a nakabandi in Nalasopara on New Year’s Eve.  

Passersby caught the SUV driver, Vikas Valmiki (35), who was reportedly drunk. Before handing him over to Tuling police, they thrashed him.

Police have arrested and booked Valmiki, a small-time businessman, for causing death due to negligence. An officer said that if the medical test report confirms that he was drunk at the time of the incident, he will also be charged with drunk driving. 

Also Read: Speeding Car Hits The Girl In Jogeshwari

According to the police, around 12:00 am, Valmiki noticed the nakabandi near Agarwal Circle from a distance. According to eyewitnesses, before jumping the divider, the SUV driver drove in a zig-zag manner and then crashed into the scooter that was coming from the opposite direction.

While Mandar Kasekar died on the spot, Nandkishore Rathod, who was riding pillion, was thrown at a distance and suffered head injuries. Passersby and other motorists nabbed Valmiki even as he tried to speed away and got Rathod admitted to Shatabdi Hospital.

Also Read: Anti-Narcotics Cell Arrests Four Men With Banned Drug Worth ₹1000 Cr

Mandar was a student of Mother Mary School. He used to live with his brother-in-law Devanand Chakranarayan, at Atharva Heights on Nalasopara New Link Road after his father’s demise. 

Chakranarayan informed the police that on Monday, Rathod who lives nearby, had come to their place. As he was leaving around 11:30 pm, Mandar offered to drop Rathod home when the accident took place. The mishap was captured on CCTV cameras in housing societies and shops on the road. The police said that the teenager was not wearing a helmet. 

Related News