Mumbai University building catches fire; students raise questions about safety

As soon as the incident took place, the fire department was contacted who reached the spot and doused the fire. However, the incident sheds light on Mumbai University's negligent attitude

SHARE

Mumbai University (MU) has been touted as one of the most influential educational institutes across the country but over the past few years, the standard of MU has deteriorated after repeated instances of mismanagement. One more incident gets added to the list where they recently averted an accident but were able to save the answer sheets from burning after a fire broke out at the University’s Green Technology building.

The reason behind the outbreak is said to be a short-circuit and the students have now demanded an in-depth inquiry of the incident as they have alleged of lack of fire safety equipment. As per the college authorities, the answer sheets were being scanned at the Green Technology building and suddenly, the Uninterruptible Power Source (UPS) caught fire. There were no casualties reported due to the incident.

Also Read: Mumbai University Examinations In Question After They Receive 76,828 Revaluation Applications

As soon as the incident took place, the fire department was contacted who reached the spot and doused the fire. On the other hand, Yuva Sena Senate members Pradeep Sawant, Shashikant Zore, and Sheetal Sheth who were present at the spot when the accident took place stated that there was no fire safety equipment in the room and the equipment used to primarily control the fire were brought from another building.

However, the Public Relations Officer for Mumbai University, Vinod Malale spoke otherwise and said,

The fire at Kalina Campus’ Green Technology Building was brought under control in no time. Also, the answer sheets were also at a safe distance from the fire and it was ensured that none of the papers were damaged. Therefore, the students don’t have to panic as there has been no loss in any form.”

RELATED TOPICS