To improve services of the Mumbai Suburban Railway, the State Government has given the nod for the second phase of the Mumbai Civil Transport Project, prepared by Mumbai Development Railway Corporation.
Also, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis informed that the work of Andheri-Goregaon Harbour Rail Route will be completed by December 2017. The work of 5th and 6th line between Thane and Diva will be completed by March 2019. The revamping work for the railway line of Mumbai Central to Borivali will be completed from Mumbai Central to Borivali by 2021. On the other hand, work of the railway line between Kurla and CST will be completed by 2021.
The expenditure of this project will be borne by the Central and State Governments. The cost for the MUTP2 project will rise up to Rs 5300 crore.
A loan of Rs 1910 crore has also been sanctioned for this project from the World Bank. As a nodal agency in this project, the Mumbai Railway Development Corporation will pay 50 percent of the amount to the State Government.
Further, understated are the details of this revamping project:
- The works will be taken in MUTP 2
- New suburban trains will be bought
- Maintenance of the suburban trains
- Converting rail routes from DC to AC
- Extension of Andheri-Goregaon Harbour line
- Laying of 6 lines between Mumbai Central to Borivali
- Maintenance of stations
- 72 new trains to be bought of 12 coaches
- With all these projects, the proposal for the Bandra-Virar rail line has been proposed for 19502 crores.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus-Project for Panvel Fast Local has been proposed for 14525 crores.