Police arrest the main accused in the Bhiwandi riots case from Mumbai Airport

After the arrest, he was handed over to the Bhiwandi police. Police presented him in Bhiwandi court, where he was sent to judicial custody for 14 days.


On Saturday, the absconding accused of the riots at Nizampura, Bhiwandi, Mohammad Yusuf Md. Ibrahim Momin alias Yusuf Raza was arrested by the police from Mumbai Airport. The riots took place 12 years ago at Nizampura police station in Bhiwandi, during which two police officers along with two agitators were killed. Mohammad Yusuf is also the City president of Raza Academy and has serious cases registered against him at many police stations.

Nizampura police station was under construction in 2006. The construction was happening in front of the Quarter Gate Mosque. Mohammad Yusuf was against the construction and he allegedly incited the crowd on the basis of religion and they pelted stones at the police station. All the 39 police officials, including the then Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) R.D. Shinde, were injured during the stone-pelting incident.

In response, the police opened fire in self-defence due in which two agitators were killed. But at midnight, the mob violently re-attacked the police station and killed two policemen. Also, they set five to six State Transport buses on fire.

Also Read: ACB Arrests Police Sub-Inspector For Taking A Bribe

Taking strong action, the administration registered a case against 400 people along with the main accused in the incident – Mohammad Yusuf. Not only this, in this case, a case was registered in six to eight locations in total. Yusuf was on the run since the incident.

Since then, the search for Yusuf was going on. Apart from this, the police had also issued a lookout notice against him. According to the police, on Saturday, when he reached Mumbai airport to flee from India, he was arrested by the police. However, the police are still looking for 7-8 people involved in the case.

Latest News