Mumbai: 100 gm Ball of Hair Found In 10-Year-Old Girl’s Stomach

The girl was known to have trichophagias, compulsive eating of hair linked to trichotillomania (hair pulling) leading to intense stomach pain.

Mumbai: 100 gm Ball of Hair Found In 10-Year-Old Girl’s Stomach

Doctors team of Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital For Children successfully removed a 100 gm hairball from the stomach of a 10-year-old girl who used to pull her hair and eat it. The girl was known to have trichophagiais, compulsive eating of hair linked to trichotillomania (hair pulling) leading to intense stomach pain. The patient is doing well after the 2-hour surgery.

Kiara Bansal (name changed)*, a resident of Dadar, Mumbai was taking period medication as she got menses at the early age of 9. The patient was having heavy bleeding followed by stomach pain for over a year but it didn’t interfere with her daily routine. She didn’t have any other signs or symptoms such as vomiting, loose motions, or weight loss. Her family panicked and consulted various doctors who performed an ultrasound and associated the pain with mesenteric lymphadenitis which is swelling of the lymph nodes of the abdomen and prescribed medication. This condition is commonly seen in patients of her age group leading to abdominal pain. The patient was given symptomatic treatment to manage the pain. The patient while touching her stomach felt a presence of a hard mass and reported this to her mother. Her mother was alarmed and rushed her to Wadia Hospital for further treatment. 

Dr Parag Karkera, Pediatric Surgeon, Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital For Children said, “On clinical examination, we could feel a lump in the abdomen and admitted the patient. Patients with pain in the abdomen come routinely but there is no lump present. We conducted a CT scan which showed a  trichobezoar which is a mass of hair in the stomach and some part of the mass was going into the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine). Hair is not able to dissolve, so it remains in the digestive system then it turns into a ball or mass, which keeps on growing. This is rarely seen among children. This patient had trichotillomania (a condition wherein one develops a strong urge to pull out their own hair).  She was also suffering from trichopagia, a condition in which one eats his/her own hair. Even her parents were unaware of her eating hair.  After investigations, She was posted for Laparotomy, with  Gastrostomy and removal of the mass.

Dr Karkera added, “Gastrotomy means making an opening in the stomach to remove the bezoar, in this case  Trichobezoar, a mass made up of the swallowed hair.   The uneventful the procedure lasted around 2 hours after which 100 grams of hairball was removed. She was discharged on the 7th postoperative day. Not treating her at the right time could have led to complications such as intestinal obstruction or perforated intestines, meaning a hole in the wall of the stomach, and small intestine. The patient was doing well on follow-up.”

 Dr Minnie Bodhanwala, CEO of Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital for Children said, “The hospital has state-of-the-art equipment that ensures the patients receive the best care possible. Wadia Hospital is specialized in providing care for children with serious or life- threatening illnesses.  With its cutting-edge technology, Wadia Hospital can provide accurate diagnoses quickly and efficiently. Apart from excellent medical facilities, Wadia Hospital prides itself in providing compassionate care to all its patients. We have highly trained experts to handle even the most challenging cases with sensitivity and empathy.”

“My daughter encountered intermittent abdominal pain which worsened over time. We were worried as the pain didn’t stop even after giving her medication. We consulted many medicos but they failed to treat her. We were in a rude shock after knowing about the presence of hair in her stomach. We thank the doctors for their prompt diagnosis and treatment. I urge other parents to keep an eye on the child’s movements to avoid any unfortunate mishaps,” concluded the patient’s mother Amita Bansal (name changed)*.

MumbaiLive would like to send you latest news updates