BMC Orders Enquiry As 2-Month Old Infant Suffers Burns After ECG Machine In KEM Catches Fire

The kid was being operated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) ward where the accident took place and currently he has suffered 22 per cent burn on his face and body and has been kept on a ventilator.

SHARE

In a shocking incident that has come to light,  Prince Pannelal Rajbhar a 2-month old infant was admitted at King Edward Memorial (KEM) Hospital as he had a hole in his heart. His family had come all the way from Varanasi to get him treated at KEM. However, during the operation, there was a short-circuit in the ECG machine which resulted in severe burns on the infant. 

Also Read: World Hunger Day: Poor Diet Damaging Childrens' Health Worldwide, UNICEF Warns

The kid was being operated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) ward where the accident took place and currently he has suffered 22 per cent burn on his face and body and has been kept on a ventilator. As the infant already had heart-related ailments, he was continuously attached to the ECG machine which recorded his heartbeat. Around 2.15 am on Wednesday, November 6, a short-circuit in the ECG machine caused the nodes to melt, burning the right side of the child’s body, including his face. 

The hospital dean Dr. Hemant Deshmukh stated that as it is an accident they cannot blame the staff or hospital, however, the hospital is managed by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and the BMC authorities are now looking into the matter. A case has been registered in Bhoiwada Police Station. 

Also Read: Mental Health Week: Here's How Mumbai Is Spreading Mental Health Awareness

RELATED TOPICS
Latest News