KEM Hospital Accident: 2-Month Old Infant's Hand Amputated

However, during his treatment to cure his burn, the doctors had to amputate his right arm to prevent infection from spreading further.

SHARE

In a shocking incident,  Prince Pannelal Rajbhar a 2-month old infant was admitted at King Edward Memorial (KEM) Hospital as he had a hole in his heart. His family had come all the way from Varanasi to get him treated at KEM. However, during the operation, there was a short-circuit in the ECG machine which resulted in severe burns on the infant. 

The kid was being operated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) ward where the accident took place and he had suffered 22 per cent burn on his face and body and was kept on a ventilator. As the infant already had heart-related ailments, he was continuously attached to the ECG machine which recorded his heartbeat. Around 2.15 am on Wednesday, November 6, a short-circuit in the ECG machine caused the nodes to melt, burning the right side of the child’s body, including his face. 

Also Read: KEM To Soon Start IVF Treatment Clinic

However, during his treatment to cure his burn, the doctors had to amputate his right arm to prevent infection from spreading further. The parents are keen on filing a police complaint as they believe it has happened due to the doctor's and the hospital authority's negligence. 

The hospital dean Dr. Hemant Deshmukh stated that as it is an accident they cannot blame the staff or hospital, however, the hospital is managed by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) and the BMC authorities are now looking into the matter. A case has been registered in Bhoiwada Police Station. 

Also Read: Motherhood Hospitals Wins FICCI Healthcare Excellence Award For Patient Care

RELATED TOPICS
Latest News