10 injured in Mumbai building fire on ground floor

The fire burned electrical wiring, wires, metres, and switches. Residents used sand to prevent the fire from spreading.

10 injured in Mumbai building fire on ground floor
(Image: Twitter/ANI) 10 injured in Mumbai building fire on ground floor

A massive fire broke out on the ground floor of a building in Mumbai, leaving 10 people hospitalised, including three children, while 80 people were rescued, who were found unconscious on the staircase.

They were rushed to the M T Agarwal hospital nearby in the city. The residents were quickly rescued by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation's (BMC) Mumbai Fire Brigade, who arrived on the scene promptly. All of the patients are now said to be in stable condition as per doctors.

The incident occurred on Monday, March 13, at around 2:45-3 pm at seven-storey Jagruti building in Mulund. Fire Brigade vehicles rushed to the spot and extinguished the blaze within 15 to 20 minutes.

The cause of the fire was an electrical spark that the watchman of the building noticed and immediately warned the occupants. The fire spread to the electrical wiring, wires, metres, and switches, and the entire stairway was filled with smoke. The electric and PNG gas supplies were shut off to prevent further damage.

Residents used sand to stop the fire from spreading to other parts of the building, which prevented it from causing more damage to the building. They obtained sand from the under construction site next to the building.

Water was not used to put out the fire since it was an electrical fire. Instead, a high-pressure first aid line of a motor pump was used. This is a standard procedure for dealing with electrical fires.

MumbaiLive would like to send you latest news updates