Advertisement

Maratha Reservation case to now be heard by the SC Constitution Bench from January 25, 2021

Senior state government lawyer Mukul Rohatgi, in the hearing held on Wednesday, December 9, stated that lives of several SEBC students from Maharashtra as recruitment and college admission processes were on hold due to the pending decision.

Maratha Reservation case to now be heard by the SC Constitution Bench from January 25, 2021
SHARES

In a recent decision, the Supreme Court has refused to lift the interim stay on the Maratha reservation and has postponed the next hearing of the case to the third or fourth week of January 2021. This decision has not been appreciated in the political groups and has come as a major blow to the Thackeray government. 

ANI quoted the bench which said, "We are of the view that issues raised in these Civil appeals and consequence, which follows is necessary that civil appeals be heard finally and concluded as early as possible," the bench said while posting the matter for further hearing on January 2"

Reports state that the government, until the next hearing, will have to maintain the status quo in filling vacancies in education and jobs. Earlier in September 2020, the ruling party was heavily criticized after a three-member bench of the Supreme Court stayed the Maratha reservation in education and jobs.

Following this, the government had filed three petitions at the Supreme Court seeking an immediate set up of a bench to hear the interim order on Maratha reservation, post which a bench comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan, L Nageswara Rao, S Abdul Nazeer, Hemant Gupta and Ravindra Bhat was formed and started hearing pleas on Maratha Reservation. Senior state government lawyer Mukul Rohatgi, in the hearing held on Wednesday, December 9, stated that lives of several SEBC students from Maharashtra were affected due to the interim order, as the recruitment and admissions process were brought on hold. He also requested the bench to consider revocation of this interim order.

Addressing the same, the bench stated that a detailed hearing needs to be set up for the same, as the case is significant. Adding more, the bench, after thorough consideration, mentioned that the same would be held in January 2021.

Meanwhile, the state government’s decision to resume the FYJC (Standard 11) admission process in the state, without SEBC reservation, has brought in a sigh of relief for several students. The admission which was stalled for the past several days has gained momentum and the concerned department have released the second list of FYJC admissions. 

RELATED TOPICS
MumbaiLive would like to send you latest news updates